DS Down Under Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
DS Down Under Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Doctor visa denied over disabled son

Go down 
+9
rlq02
Di
Amarlismum
Tigger
angelgood1
missyflower
Aden's mummy
Aristocat
Cath13
13 posters
AuthorMessage
Cath13
Chin Wagger
Chin Wagger
Cath13

Number of posts : 373
Registration date : 2008-01-30

Doctor visa denied over disabled son Empty
PostSubject: Doctor visa denied over disabled son   Doctor visa denied over disabled son Icon_minitimeThu 30 Oct 2008 - 12:03

Just found this on Ninemsn:

Quote :
A German doctor who emigrated to rural Victoria to fill a critical doctor's shortage will be kicked out of the country because his son is intellectually disabled.

Bernhard Moeller and his family have been rejected a permanent visa on the grounds that his youngest son, 13-year-old Lukas, has Down syndrome.

"I'm so disappointed and upset," Dr Moeller told ninemsn.

The full story:

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=657645
Back to top Go down
Aristocat
Mentor
Mentor
Aristocat

Number of posts : 1263
Registration date : 2008-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Doctor visa denied over disabled son   Doctor visa denied over disabled son Icon_minitimeThu 30 Oct 2008 - 15:05

It's bloody disgusting Bang
Back to top Go down
http://bugglady.blogspot.com/
Aden's mummy
Devoted Poster
Devoted Poster
Aden's mummy

Number of posts : 1941
Registration date : 2008-01-25

PostSubject: Re: Doctor visa denied over disabled son   Doctor visa denied over disabled son Icon_minitimeThu 30 Oct 2008 - 15:37

sickening. Sad
Back to top Go down
http://4ever-blessed.blogspot.com/
missyflower
Addict
Addict
missyflower

Number of posts : 448
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Doctor visa denied over disabled son   Doctor visa denied over disabled son Icon_minitimeThu 30 Oct 2008 - 18:28

Yes, I saw it too, bloody terrible Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
Aden's mummy
Devoted Poster
Devoted Poster
Aden's mummy

PostSubject: Re: Doctor visa denied over disabled son   Doctor visa denied over disabled son Icon_minitimeThu 30 Oct 2008 - 21:01

What the hell is wrong with our country ? We cant adopt babies’ with Down syndrome from other country’s either. With that being the case I don’t think there should be any adoptions outside of Oz. I mean really how do you know when you adopt a baby if the child will have this or that. It’s discrimination for our kids and others….
I’m still so upset over reading this
Back to top Go down
angelgood1
Chin Wagger
Chin Wagger

Number of posts : 340
Registration date : 2008-06-28

PostSubject: Re: Doctor visa denied over disabled son   Doctor visa denied over disabled son Icon_minitimeFri 31 Oct 2008 - 4:00

Hi- Yes it is the same immigration rules that prevent people from adopting children with down syndrome and other disabilities from overseas. The rules are very strict and prevent alot of parents who would love to adopt a child with special needs from overseas from doing so. In America there is not any such limitation on overseas adoption-doesnt make alot of sense. If people were prevented from adopting overseas though-over 90% of people would never be able to adopt, as there are so few bubs available for adoption each year eg less than 10 per state.
Back to top Go down
Tigger
Mentor
Mentor
Tigger

Number of posts : 1095
Registration date : 2008-02-04

PostSubject: Re: Doctor visa denied over disabled son   Doctor visa denied over disabled son Icon_minitimeFri 31 Oct 2008 - 6:32

I am going to write to the immigration minister about this. It is disgusting. They are basically saying that a person with DS is of no value to the community. Grrrrrrrr Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Aden's mummy
Devoted Poster
Devoted Poster
Aden's mummy

PostSubject: Re: Doctor visa denied over disabled son   Doctor visa denied over disabled son Icon_minitimeFri 31 Oct 2008 - 6:45

Karyn could you send me a copy of your letter so I can get some idea’s I want to take this on as well.
I’m so upset, it says to people that our kids really aren’t’ worth having cost our country…
Back to top Go down
Aden's mummy
Devoted Poster
Devoted Poster
Aden's mummy

PostSubject: Re: Doctor visa denied over disabled son   Doctor visa denied over disabled son Icon_minitimeFri 31 Oct 2008 - 6:48

Quote :
Hi- Yes it is the same immigration rules that prevent people from adopting children with down syndrome and other disabilities from overseas
It’s not right is it.

I’m going away for the weekend, so will pm you when I get back Karyn
Back to top Go down
Amarlismum
Chatzilla
Chatzilla
Amarlismum

Number of posts : 2167
Registration date : 2008-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Doctor visa denied over disabled son   Doctor visa denied over disabled son Icon_minitimeFri 31 Oct 2008 - 6:56

I have no words that would be appropriate to say here Evil or Very Mad
Makes you sooo proud to be an Aussie Evil or Very Mad NOT
Back to top Go down
Di
Addict
Addict
Di

Number of posts : 443

PostSubject: Re: Doctor visa denied over disabled son   Doctor visa denied over disabled son Icon_minitimeFri 31 Oct 2008 - 10:49

The only thing that has made me happy in this situation is the OVERWHELMING positive response towards the family in all the comments sections.

It's great to know that the majority of the rest of the population feel the same way we do (or at least those that are posting comments).

The rest is a disgrace and may be good opening for them to start reassessing the legislation.
Back to top Go down
http://smallactsofkindness-dovic.blogspot.com/
rlq02
Chin Wagger
Chin Wagger
rlq02

Number of posts : 366
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Doctor visa denied over disabled son   Doctor visa denied over disabled son Icon_minitimeFri 31 Oct 2008 - 11:39

DSAV seem to have really jumped on this case (Yay!) and have started a petition on their website -www.dsav.asn.au or directly at
http://www.petitiononline.com/DSV001/petition.html
Back to top Go down
Ladybug
Addict
Addict
Ladybug

Number of posts : 482
Registration date : 2008-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Doctor visa denied over disabled son   Doctor visa denied over disabled son Icon_minitimeFri 31 Oct 2008 - 13:56

Done and now emailling it to all my friends
Back to top Go down
Amarlismum
Chatzilla
Chatzilla
Amarlismum

Number of posts : 2167

PostSubject: Re: Doctor visa denied over disabled son   Doctor visa denied over disabled son Icon_minitimeFri 31 Oct 2008 - 16:39

I signed it too
Back to top Go down
CoralJ
Regular
Regular
CoralJ

Number of posts : 200
Registration date : 2008-07-02

PostSubject: Re: Doctor visa denied over disabled son   Doctor visa denied over disabled son Icon_minitimeFri 31 Oct 2008 - 17:12

I went to nine news site from DSAV site and read some of the posts, all supported Dr and his son staying (some did comment on other people who should not be allowed to immigrate eg people of different racial backgrounds-unfortunately another biggotry in our society) when I looked earlier today there were about 2000 of these posts.

the site also had a poll with the question "should immigrants with disabled children be forced to leave? just checked it now and voted no of course results so far
Yes 70054
No 54866
what does this say about the people of Australia? Not happy about that one. Don't know what to do about it at the moment.
Back to top Go down
shelley
Gas Bag
Gas Bag
shelley

Number of posts : 588
Registration date : 2008-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Doctor visa denied over disabled son   Doctor visa denied over disabled son Icon_minitimeFri 31 Oct 2008 - 17:38

Appalling isn't it that the US right wing republican government is more accepting and able to acknowledge the CONTRIBUTION and VALUE that people with DS (or any other disability) are capable of giving to a society than our own supposedly 'fair go' labor one! I think the best thing we can do is write letters - to the minister for immigration and our own local members too - that is what I'll be doing over the weekend. Naughty
Back to top Go down
http://shamptons.blogspot.com/
rlq02
Chin Wagger
Chin Wagger
rlq02

Number of posts : 366
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Doctor visa denied over disabled son   Doctor visa denied over disabled son Icon_minitimeSat 1 Nov 2008 - 8:08

Quote :
"should immigrants with disabled children be forced to leave?

This really is sickening - D was granted permanent residency 2 weeks before Wil was born. Would they have refused it if it had been 2 weeks after???????????
Back to top Go down
Supercat
Regular
Regular

Number of posts : 131
Registration date : 2008-04-29

PostSubject: Re: Doctor visa denied over disabled son   Doctor visa denied over disabled son Icon_minitimeMon 3 Nov 2008 - 5:07

I was saddened to hear about this. I am ashamed to be an Australian with this kind of attitute around Sad But I am also so glad to see the public outcry and so many wanting the Dr to stay. Hopefully it means more and more people are no longer seeing DS as a severe disability and know that people with DS grow up to be positive contributors to society rather than a burden.

Quote :
We cant adopt babies’ with Down syndrome from other country’s either.

That devestated me when I found out. When we were having Jonah we looked at adopting a DS sibling for him (and our other boys of course) but found out that we couldn't.

I still check in at Reece's Rainbow regularly and would love to adopt a DS bub.
Back to top Go down
Aden's mummy
Devoted Poster
Devoted Poster
Aden's mummy

PostSubject: Re: Doctor visa denied over disabled son   Doctor visa denied over disabled son Icon_minitimeMon 3 Nov 2008 - 6:12

their initial application had been automatically rejected, and they have not yet appealed when the media got wind of it. In Australia you have to appeal and if you can show you can support the medical bills yourself…. Your excepted. clap

their application should be approved soon - they just have to go through the motions first.

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,24580270-953,00.html

Also

This was on the QLD Ds email list from an American, so be to quick to not be proud to be an Aussie I hope this is signed after there election

AND unlike the USA --Australia
ratified (though has yet to establish protocol...maybe now?) the UN
agreement on disabilities:
http://www.un.org/disabilities/

...while the USA has not signed -see map of world:
http://www.un.org/disabilities/documents/maps/enablemap.jpg

So you have much to be prideful about -- and look at the out cry this
has received in your country--while it's just an itty bitty passing
blip here on the other side.

Given the energy on this issue in your neck of the woods...It may be a
good time to rally the troops so to speak, given International Day of
Persons with Disabilities is coming up really soon: 3 December 2008

From the website: http://www.un.org/disabilities/

The 2008 theme of the International Day of Persons with Disabilities
is "Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities: Dignity and
justice for all of us". Since its beginning, the United Nations has
been committed to realization of universal human rights for all,
including the rights of persons with disabilities. This commitment
has been translated into international norms and standards, such as
international human rights conventions and international, national and
local action for making a difference in the lives of people all over
the world.

2008 is a significant year for taking action to make this commitment a
reality: the entry into force of the Convention on the Rights of
Persons with Disabilities and its Optional Protocol, legally binding
instruments as well as the commemoration of the 60th anniversary of
the Universal Declaration of Human Rights (UDHR). For more information
on the International Day.
http://www.un.org/disabilities/default.asp?id=109
Back to top Go down
CoralJ
Regular
Regular
CoralJ

Number of posts : 200
Registration date : 2008-07-02

PostSubject: Re: Doctor visa denied over disabled son   Doctor visa denied over disabled son Icon_minitimeMon 3 Nov 2008 - 6:43

Thanks very much for the research Aden's Mummy, sounds like Australia is not meeting it's implied requirements under UN agreement, good ideas, I'll look at it when I get a chance later today when kids are asleep, Coral
Back to top Go down
angelgood1
Chin Wagger
Chin Wagger

Number of posts : 340
Registration date : 2008-06-28

PostSubject: Re: Doctor visa denied over disabled son   Doctor visa denied over disabled son Icon_minitimeMon 3 Nov 2008 - 7:51

Yes, I often check Reece's Rainbow too- there are just so many children in some of the European countries, in need.
Mel
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Doctor visa denied over disabled son   Doctor visa denied over disabled son Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Doctor visa denied over disabled son
Page 1 of 1