DS Down Under Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
DS Down Under Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Ageing with Down's

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 287
Registration date : 2008-01-24

Ageing with Down's Empty
PostSubject: Ageing with Down's   Ageing with Down's Icon_minitimeMon 15 Dec 2008 - 11:08

DNA Daily News and Analysis (India) - 14 Dec 2008

Quote :
The current generation of people with Down’s Syndrome — an abnormality that causes developmental and physical disabilities — will be the first to survive its parents. But how do parents arrange for financial, residential and caretaker needs? Kareena N Gianani reports

read more...
Back to top Go down
https://dsdownunder.forumakers.com/
Aristocat
Mentor
Mentor
Aristocat

Number of posts : 1263
Registration date : 2008-01-30

Ageing with Down's Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ageing with Down's   Ageing with Down's Icon_minitimeMon 15 Dec 2008 - 11:48

Wow, that was depressing.
Back to top Go down
http://bugglady.blogspot.com/
caspearson
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
caspearson

Number of posts : 3298
Registration date : 2008-01-25

Ageing with Down's Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ageing with Down's   Ageing with Down's Icon_minitimeMon 15 Dec 2008 - 14:27

Oh that was interesting reading about different ideas with adults. It's a great reminder to me as I think sometimes I keep my head in the sand about the future. My husband's first reaction when our daughter was diagnosed with DS was "oh no! we'll have a child living with us for the rest of our lives". While that doesn't bother me so much (she's so lovely I couldn't bear to part with her!), one day I may not be here for her and I do need to have that goal in mind of where will she be and what will she be doing when I'm gone. It's also a good reminder to me of others who are in this position and the worries they must be experiencing. I guess it's not necessarily all as rosey as I like to think?

Cas
Back to top Go down
http://pearsonspalladium.spaces.live.com/
CoralJ
Regular
Regular
CoralJ

Number of posts : 200
Registration date : 2008-07-02

Ageing with Down's Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ageing with Down's   Ageing with Down's Icon_minitimeTue 16 Dec 2008 - 9:51

The article showed a fairly good representation of what I think the real possabilities for our kids are. i know I've already wondered how best to ensure Patrick's future when Paul and I aren't around and ideally the best outcome is for him to live as independantly as possible but this will probably mean in some type of supported accom. There are different models in America but I'm not sure about here. I read where one family had their son and a friend of his with a disability living together somewhere they had organised and a worker came in to check on them daily and assist where needed. I'd hope that as a group local families might be able to organise our own small group homes rather than rely on govt. ones. (There are not enough now and the one's I know of have about 5-6 residents with different disabilities. I forget what the waiting list is but remember a figure of about 200 and I'm sure it will not get shorter in a hurry).
This takes money though so that is something Paul and I work towards with all our decisions. We also personally don't want Rebecca to feel she has to be responsible for Patrick. Whatever course her life takes she needs to be free to make her life the way she wants it to be.
As always, we hope for the best and deal with what we get, Coral
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Ageing with Down's Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ageing with Down's   Ageing with Down's Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ageing with Down's
Page 1 of 1