DS Down Under Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
DS Down Under Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

A book of Stories about DS! A MUST!

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Jay and Tuscan
Regular
Regular
Jay and Tuscan

Number of posts : 161
Registration date : 2008-06-26

A book of Stories about DS! A MUST! Empty
PostSubject: A book of Stories about DS! A MUST!   A book of Stories about DS! A MUST! Icon_minitimeTue 2 Feb 2010 - 13:47

A book is being written by families with children with DS - who live in Australia. BE PART OF IT... Good mates of mine Caz and Ange, both have kids with DS. They also have the best attitude towards it. They have made me feel so positive about DS and really inspired me to reach for the stars when it comes to Tuscan! It is a similar idea to the "Gifts" book, but with Aussie stories and an Aussie outlook (I think its Aussie anyway)! Here is what Caz wanted me to tell you all:

-----------------------------------------------

We've launched a book project, with the working title Now I See, which, when completed, will aim to offer insight and support to new parents of a child with Down syndrome (whether they have found out through pre-natal diagnosis or soon after birth).

For the broader community, it will aim to dispel outdated ideas and shed light on the potential and possibilities for children with Down syndrome today.

The book will consist of stories written by parents (both mums and dads) who have a child with Down syndrome.

We've set up a website www.nowisee.com.au with all the submission information, and if you do have a child with Down syndrome, we're hoping you will submit a piece for this book.

We firmly believe there is a need for this type of book and we hope you feel that way too.

Any profits/royalties from the book will be used towards funding more copies for new parents and health-care professionals.

If you have any further queries please don't hesitate to get in touch. Our email is: nowisee2010@hotmail.com

If you know other parents who would be interested in this book project, would you please forward this information on. (The success of this book will depend on getting the word out and then having enough people submit their story!)

Thanks in advance for your help.

Very kind regards,

Angela Blakston (Book Editor) and Carolyn McDiarmid (Book Manager)

-----------------------------------------------

So I hope you will check out the website and think about writing a story! It looks soooo great!
Cheers all,

Jay
Back to top Go down
http://jeffriesbaby.wordpress.com, https://www.youtube.com/watch?
caspearson
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
caspearson

Number of posts : 3298
Registration date : 2008-01-25

PostSubject: Re: A book of Stories about DS! A MUST!   A book of Stories about DS! A MUST! Icon_minitimeTue 2 Feb 2010 - 14:15

Fantastic! Thanks for passing that on Jay Very Happy

Cas
Back to top Go down
http://pearsonspalladium.spaces.live.com/
MillyMoo
Chin Wagger
Chin Wagger
MillyMoo

Number of posts : 366
Registration date : 2008-02-01

PostSubject: Re: A book of Stories about DS! A MUST!   A book of Stories about DS! A MUST! Icon_minitimeTue 2 Feb 2010 - 17:12

That great! Myself and the other mums who are in the process of launching our charity "The Right Start: supporting families touched by Downs" have been talking about a book of stories. Well, it's already in the process, how awesome!! I'll definitely be passing this in, thanks for that Jay.

Oh and for those who haven't checked us out yet visit www.therightstart.org

We're still in the process of getting things up and running and the site doesn't really have much on it but it'll get there Wink
We are actually having a family day that is also a photo shoot day later this month so we can put together pamphlets and information packs that will go to all of our local hospitals, OBs, GPs, genetic counsellers rooms etc. We've actually had a major hospital ask us twice now for pamphlets so that's fantastic! (sorry for the A book of Stories about DS! A MUST! 309783 and the plug A book of Stories about DS! A MUST! 990645 ) lol A book of Stories about DS! A MUST! Icon_redface
Back to top Go down
Aristocat
Mentor
Mentor
Aristocat

Number of posts : 1263
Registration date : 2008-01-30

PostSubject: Re: A book of Stories about DS! A MUST!   A book of Stories about DS! A MUST! Icon_minitimeWed 3 Feb 2010 - 4:18

Looks like a fantastic idea Jay !!! Thanks for the link.

Kris your idea is awesome as well !! Look forward to watching your progress Smile
Back to top Go down
http://bugglady.blogspot.com/
Raych
Freshie
Freshie
Raych

Number of posts : 78
Registration date : 2009-05-18

PostSubject: Re: A book of Stories about DS! A MUST!   A book of Stories about DS! A MUST! Icon_minitimeWed 3 Feb 2010 - 18:49

Hi Kris.

Is the right start a local group or is the plan to go statewide or nationally?
Back to top Go down
Jay and Tuscan
Regular
Regular
Jay and Tuscan

Number of posts : 161
Registration date : 2008-06-26

PostSubject: Re: A book of Stories about DS! A MUST!   A book of Stories about DS! A MUST! Icon_minitimeFri 5 Feb 2010 - 9:57

No prob guys. This book of stories will be great. I hope of you will submit your stories. Its going to be GREAT!

J
Back to top Go down
http://jeffriesbaby.wordpress.com, https://www.youtube.com/watch?
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A book of Stories about DS! A MUST!   A book of Stories about DS! A MUST! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A book of Stories about DS! A MUST!
Page 1 of 1