DS Down Under Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
DS Down Under Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

What you wish you had known

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Tammy
Regular
Regular
Tammy

Number of posts : 206
Registration date : 2008-02-02

What you wish you had known Empty
PostSubject: What you wish you had known   What you wish you had known Icon_minitimeThu 29 May 2008 - 8:02

I wasnt sure exactly which title to put this under, so feel free to move it to wherever suits...

Cut and copied from another Web Forum with permission from Kathryn Soper.

She would be delighted to hear from anyone who would like to contribute.

Hello everyone,

As many of you know, Jennifer Graf Groneberg and I will be presenting a New Parent's workshop at the NDSC convention. I'm making a handout for the presentation called "What I Wish I'd Known," and I'd love your help. If you'd like to participate, here are the steps:

1. Answer this question in 50 words or less:

What do you know now about parenting a child with Down syndrome that you wish you'd known from day 1?

2. End your response with your first name, your child's first name, and his or her age in parentheses. For example: Kathryn, mom to Thomas (2)

3. Email your response to kathrynsoper@gmail.com by June 1. Put "What I Wish I'd Known" in the subject line.

Feel free to share your responses in this thread, but please note--I will only include emailed responses on the handout. Also, depending on how many responses I receive, and how much overlap they have, I might not include every response in the handout.

THANK YOU! I know your words will bring great encouragement to new parents!

Sam - 2003
Matt - 2001
Christine - 1999
Andrew - 1997
Ben - 1994
Elizabeth - 1993
Back to top Go down
caspearson
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
caspearson

Number of posts : 3298
Registration date : 2008-01-25

PostSubject: Re: What you wish you had known   What you wish you had known Icon_minitimeThu 29 May 2008 - 8:36

Wow! I didn't realise Kathryn had 7 kids!! How does she have time to write a book? Razz

Cas
Back to top Go down
http://pearsonspalladium.spaces.live.com/
Tammy
Regular
Regular
Tammy

Number of posts : 206
Registration date : 2008-02-02

PostSubject: Re: What you wish you had known   What you wish you had known Icon_minitimeFri 30 May 2008 - 22:30

Only 2 days left to submit your responses--hope to hear from all of you!

Kathryn Lynard Soper
Editor of GIFTS
Mother of Thomas (DS) 10/2005
Sam - 2003
Matt - 2001
Christine - 1999
Andrew - 1997
Ben - 1994
Elizabeth - 1993
Back to top Go down
caspearson
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
caspearson

PostSubject: Re: What you wish you had known   What you wish you had known Icon_minitimeFri 30 May 2008 - 22:48

Actually, I find that a really tricky one as I entered the DS journey without any expectations really. My hubbys says he would've felt a lot better if he'd've known at the start that after 12mths you don't really know any different and don't think anything of it Very Happy I guess, I wish I hadn've known how normal and silly mums of kids with DS really are! I thought they were all supermums that were like angels in the flesh - kind of untouchables. Ha! NOW I know the truth Wink hahahaha

Cas
Back to top Go down
caspearson
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
caspearson

PostSubject: Re: What you wish you had known   What you wish you had known Icon_minitimeFri 30 May 2008 - 22:53

Do you think we'd be able to get a copy of the responses?

Cas
Back to top Go down
caspearson
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
caspearson

PostSubject: Re: What you wish you had known   What you wish you had known Icon_minitimeFri 30 May 2008 - 23:16

Just had an email from Kathryn Soper saying she'd love to come to the outback if we could fund her ticket. Anyone up for a fundraising challenge??? I wonder how many shirts we'd have to sell lmao

Seriously, how wonderful would that be if we could all band together with our State Associations and raise some funds to get her over here for a Speaking Tour? Does anyone have any experiene writing grants?

Cas
Back to top Go down
Amarlismum
Chatzilla
Chatzilla
Amarlismum

Number of posts : 2167
Registration date : 2008-02-03

PostSubject: Re: What you wish you had known   What you wish you had known Icon_minitimeSat 31 May 2008 - 10:51

Me Smile i helped do submissions for large government employment grants.
You would need to find out where you are going to apply for the money from? Maybe a call to your local Ds association see what they say. Once you find thisout you then can see what their guidlines are for applying for the grant.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What you wish you had known   What you wish you had known Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What you wish you had known
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DS Down Under Forum :: Main - Public Access :: Questions about Down Syndrome-
Jump to: