DS Down Under Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
DS Down Under Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Smoking gives a false positive

Go down 
+3
caspearson
Di
Aden's mummy
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Aden's mummy
Devoted Poster
Devoted Poster
Aden's mummy

Number of posts : 1941
Registration date : 2008-01-25

Smoking gives a false positive Empty
PostSubject: Smoking gives a false positive   Smoking gives a false positive Icon_minitimeMon 16 Jun 2008 - 9:16

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-495931/Smoking-linked-needless-tests-Downs-Syndrome.html

Quote :
Smoking is to blame for pregnant women undergoing needless and risky tests for Down's Syndrome, experts warned.
Scientists have discovered that chemicals in cigarettes distort the results of screening for disability.
They change a woman's body chemistry and give a false reading that a baby has a high chance of being born with Down's.
This puts women at high risk of miscarriage because they then have to undergo a further screening test for abnormality.

Those who had smoked just a few cigarettes a day came out with a high "false positive" score for an abnormal baby.

Quote :

All pregnant women in Britain are offered screening at the 15-week stage to check the foetus is developing normally. This process involves an ultrasound as well as a blood test which enables doctors to check for levels of pregnancy hormones.

Any mother-to-be who is shown to have a high risk of a baby with Down's is then offered a special test known as amniocentesis.

This involves a needle being inserted into the womb so that doctors can take a sample of fluid from around the baby. But medics only carry out this test in exceptional circumstances because t
Quote :
here is a one in 100 chance of this causing the mother to miscarry

Have a read of this comment
Pre-natal testing for disability, whether accurate or not, is a form of fatal discrimination. It suggests that having a disability is a fate worse than death, and that killing disabled people, just because they are disabled, is an appropriate response to the challenges caused by disability. 90% of babies with spina bifida, the disability I have, are now aborted. I find this extremely offensive - something that should not be allowed, let alone encouraged, in a supposedly civilized society
Back to top Go down
http://4ever-blessed.blogspot.com/
Di
Addict
Addict
Di

Number of posts : 443
Registration date : 2008-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Smoking gives a false positive   Smoking gives a false positive Icon_minitimeMon 16 Jun 2008 - 11:53

MMmmm, it's just too sad for words isn't it.
Back to top Go down
http://smallactsofkindness-dovic.blogspot.com/
caspearson
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
caspearson

Number of posts : 3298

PostSubject: Re: Smoking gives a false positive   Smoking gives a false positive Icon_minitimeMon 16 Jun 2008 - 13:30

Oh that's really interesting...I had not heard that before....

Very very sad

Cas
Back to top Go down
http://pearsonspalladium.spaces.live.com/
Aden's mummy
Devoted Poster
Devoted Poster
Aden's mummy

PostSubject: Re: Smoking gives a false positive   Smoking gives a false positive Icon_minitimeMon 16 Jun 2008 - 13:59

Back to top Go down
caspearson
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
caspearson

Number of posts : 3298

PostSubject: Re: Smoking gives a false positive   Smoking gives a false positive Icon_minitimeMon 16 Jun 2008 - 14:13

I also heard something like 20% of deaths of newborns in the Netherlands were due to the baby being disabled and not being allowed to live? Something incredible like that....how sad that society finds that acceptable. Oh we'll just call it something else.....

Cas
Back to top Go down
http://pearsonspalladium.spaces.live.com/
Tigger
Mentor
Mentor
Tigger

Number of posts : 1095
Registration date : 2008-02-04

PostSubject: Re: Smoking gives a false positive   Smoking gives a false positive Icon_minitimeMon 16 Jun 2008 - 14:23

I am so shocked at those statistics, although I had feared they were higher. With more antenatal testing I guess they will go up even further. Sad
Back to top Go down
Amarlismum
Chatzilla
Chatzilla
Amarlismum

Number of posts : 2167

PostSubject: Re: Smoking gives a false positive   Smoking gives a false positive Icon_minitimeMon 16 Jun 2008 - 14:58

Well i smoked (not heavy) when i fell pregnant with Amarli and probably had about 4 cigarettes while i was pregnant, i gave up when i was about 3mths and havent started again though i really only smoked when i was at work. And i got a high result 1 in 2 so go figure thinking I really dont think smoking had anything to do with it.
I'm going to go against the flow with the testing and say that im totally for the new test that is coming out that will test for disabilities at 8to10 weeks into a pregnancy. This new test will be very acurate and im glad it is going to be available.
I had an Amnio to find out for sure if Amarli had Ds, not to abort but to get prepared. But i often thought of the person who might want to terminate, and how hard that would be if you were 20wks pregnant. It is not a pretty thought as to what these woman who choose to do this so late into a pregnacy must go through.
At least this new test can allow a termination to be done much earlier and to be carried out as a D and C.
I'm not so much thinking of woman with a dx of Ds but maybe for trisomy 18/13, these dx's are 99% fatal at birth. And to be honest if that was me i would be leaning towards a termination.
But i have to add that this thought never crossed my mind with Amarli and Ds, you know i thought if you have to have a child with a disibility then Ds was the way to go. Money
Back to top Go down
Aden's mummy
Devoted Poster
Devoted Poster
Aden's mummy

PostSubject: Re: Smoking gives a false positive   Smoking gives a false positive Icon_minitimeMon 16 Jun 2008 - 15:38

Quote :
I'm going to go against the flow with the testing and say that im totally for the new test that is coming out that will test for disabilities at 8to10 weeks into a pregnancy. This new test will be very acurate and im glad it is going to be available

My DH agrees with you and I’m starting to, to.
The amnio is so risky and any at least this way, baby’s lives will be saved as so many are lost with termination.
I would most likely have the new test now I think about it more. I’d not bother with the amnio, couldn’t live with myself if anything happened. But if I fell pregnant again, I would have the test if it wasn’t’ a risk to the baby, just so I knew.
Back to top Go down
rlq02
Chin Wagger
Chin Wagger
rlq02

Number of posts : 366
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Smoking gives a false positive   Smoking gives a false positive Icon_minitimeMon 16 Jun 2008 - 19:33

You're good Robyn - I started the fags again the day we found out about the DS and haven't been able to stop again! I was so sure on the day Wil was born that I would never smoke again and then, bang, bad news sent me back to the evil weed two days later Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Amarlismum
Chatzilla
Chatzilla
Amarlismum

Number of posts : 2167

PostSubject: Re: Smoking gives a false positive   Smoking gives a false positive Icon_minitimeMon 16 Jun 2008 - 19:39

I've never been a heavy smoker a pack would last me a week and i never smoked at home. But when i was pregnant with DD10 i got cravings for cigarettes and would get up at all hours of the night to have one Evil or Very Mad and its b$%#%&! how they say smoking makes your baby small, she was 9lb, all my others were heaps smaller. I'm lucky though ive had no urges to smoke again and food does taste heaps better now lmao i've always been able to stop just like that. but this time i dont think i'll start again. Though it has been hard to shift this extra weight Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Aden's mummy
Devoted Poster
Devoted Poster
Aden's mummy

PostSubject: Re: Smoking gives a false positive   Smoking gives a false positive Icon_minitimeMon 16 Jun 2008 - 20:00

rlq02 wrote:
You're good Robyn - I started the fags again the day we found out about the DS and haven't been able to stop again! I was so sure on the day Wil was born that I would never smoke again and then, bang, bad news sent me back to the evil weed two days later Embarassed
Hugs I too found it really hard to give up,. I smoked with my first two one was 6lbs 12, I smoked about 2 a day and the next baby was 8lbs 4 and smoked too much to confess.
I've been off them now for about 12years. I could never start again cause I could never give up again. My DH has given up twice, you’ll do it when your ready, it just happens like that, no matter how much you want to give up you cant and then something happens and you just do it.
you can do it cheers
Back to top Go down
missyflower
Addict
Addict
missyflower

Number of posts : 448
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Smoking gives a false positive   Smoking gives a false positive Icon_minitimeWed 18 Jun 2008 - 18:57

I smoked, with my 2 older boys, I cut down when I found out, and smoked 3 a day, but with Tori-Shaye I cut down until I had the amnio and then got the result... I smoked more. Feel bad for it, but it was my vice at the time. I can't go back and change it now, just did what I did to get me thru my way. And yes... I'm still smoking Embarassed It ain't easy for me to give up, but I'll do it when I'm ready.

Last edited by missyflower on Thu 19 Jun 2008 - 12:08; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : cause I needed to!!)
Back to top Go down
Aden's mummy
Devoted Poster
Devoted Poster
Aden's mummy

PostSubject: Re: Smoking gives a false positive   Smoking gives a false positive Icon_minitimeWed 18 Jun 2008 - 20:34

Quote :
but I still don't blame it on her having DS
I don’t think that is what is being suggested Big Hug I think it's something like a chemical in smokes that gives the false positive??
Back to top Go down
missyflower
Addict
Addict
missyflower

Number of posts : 448
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Smoking gives a false positive   Smoking gives a false positive Icon_minitimeThu 19 Jun 2008 - 8:06

Smile Yeah sorry, I know... its just me being honest.. that I smoked thru the pregnancy ..
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Smoking gives a false positive   Smoking gives a false positive Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Smoking gives a false positive
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DS Down Under Forum :: Main - Public Access :: News Watch-
Jump to: