DS Down Under Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
DS Down Under Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Heart mumurs

Go down 
+7
Sam_Hayden
shelley
Aristocat
caspearson
kiwiaussie
angelgood1
Paul
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Paul
Regular
Regular
Paul

Number of posts : 137
Registration date : 2009-06-26

Heart mumurs Empty
PostSubject: Heart mumurs   Heart mumurs Icon_minitimeFri 30 Oct 2009 - 17:58

Hi everyone, Matilda is sick and Jay took her to the doc. she said that Matilda has a heart mumur, is that common? Matilda also has congenetal heart disease/VSD can anyone point us to a good doc. that we can see in Vic? or give some advise as to what we should look out for and what we can do to help her.

Thanks

Paul
Back to top Go down
angelgood1
Chin Wagger
Chin Wagger

Number of posts : 340
Registration date : 2008-06-28

Heart mumurs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heart mumurs   Heart mumurs Icon_minitimeFri 30 Oct 2009 - 18:36

Our children see a cardiologist, Dr Wilkinson that comes up from the Royal Children's Hospital in Melbourne. Abi had heart surgery when she was 5 months at Westmead(before she came into our care) and has had no problems since. Hope Matilda gets better soon- it can be difficult when our little one's get sick with colds etc.

Mel (mum to Stephen and Abi)
Back to top Go down
kiwiaussie
Habitual Offender
Habitual Offender
kiwiaussie

Number of posts : 903
Registration date : 2008-11-10

Heart mumurs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heart mumurs   Heart mumurs Icon_minitimeFri 30 Oct 2009 - 18:57

A heart murmer can be a sign of a VSD, as this is how they found our 16 year old had one as a baby.
Back to top Go down
http://imag-e-nation.webs.com
caspearson
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
caspearson

Number of posts : 3298
Registration date : 2008-01-25

Heart mumurs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heart mumurs   Heart mumurs Icon_minitimeFri 30 Oct 2009 - 21:34

Hugs

Hope she gets well soon!

Cas
Back to top Go down
http://pearsonspalladium.spaces.live.com/
Aristocat
Mentor
Mentor
Aristocat

Number of posts : 1263
Registration date : 2008-01-30

Heart mumurs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heart mumurs   Heart mumurs Icon_minitimeSat 31 Oct 2009 - 3:56

Paul I don't know as a true "fact" but I think hear murmurs are fairly common amongst kids with DS. I am basing that on the fact of 50%of people with DS having some form of heart condition Smile

We don' have any personal experience with this but can you see GP's through the Royal Childrens? Living in Melbourne, that is where I would look to for support. (if it's available there that is ! )
Back to top Go down
http://bugglady.blogspot.com/
shelley
Gas Bag
Gas Bag
shelley

Number of posts : 588
Registration date : 2008-02-11

Heart mumurs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heart mumurs   Heart mumurs Icon_minitimeSat 31 Oct 2009 - 4:46

Paul I'm sorry to hear that. Hannah had a complete AVSD repair at 2 months - it was scary but she has been going great guns since the surgery. We took her to see a cardiac pediatrician - he was fantastic (at Sydney's Childrens Hospital) and then she had her surgery at Westmead childrens. Good luck I hope Matilda feels better soon. Heart mumurs 204858
Back to top Go down
http://shamptons.blogspot.com/
Sam_Hayden
Chin Wagger
Chin Wagger
Sam_Hayden

Number of posts : 375
Registration date : 2008-06-27

Heart mumurs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heart mumurs   Heart mumurs Icon_minitimeSat 31 Oct 2009 - 11:39

ohhh poor Matilda i hope she gets better really soon.
i dont fully understand heart murmurs, do they vary in severity?
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#/profile.php?id=611660
~Danni~
Gas Bag
Gas Bag
~Danni~

Number of posts : 507
Registration date : 2008-01-30

Heart mumurs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heart mumurs   Heart mumurs Icon_minitimeSat 31 Oct 2009 - 18:38

Paige has a small VSD with left to right shunt and whenever a dr listens to her chest they say she has a very loud murmur. We have been seeing Dr Michael Chung at the RCH since Paige was born, she also had her PDA closed at 6 months with a coil device and Dr Wilkinson was her surgeon!

Was this only just picked up? I hope you can get a refferal to the cardiology department soon.
Back to top Go down
http://mummytobe.blogspot.com/
Tigger
Mentor
Mentor
Tigger

Number of posts : 1095
Registration date : 2008-02-04

Heart mumurs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heart mumurs   Heart mumurs Icon_minitimeSun 1 Nov 2009 - 14:07

Talitha has a slight heart murmur after her open heart surgery. Before her surgery the holes in her heart were so big that the murmur was hard to hear. It is important that her heart is checked by a paediatric cardiologist, I am guess a referral to the Royal Childrens would be the best option. It is important to get it checked out because permanent damage to her heart and pulmonary system can occur if it isn't dealt with properly.
Back to top Go down
Paul
Regular
Regular
Paul

Number of posts : 137
Registration date : 2009-06-26

Heart mumurs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heart mumurs   Heart mumurs Icon_minitimeSun 1 Nov 2009 - 17:32

Thanks everyone we have a ECG booked in December and seeing the paediatric cardiologist in Jan, we can not get in any earlier, will see during the week if we can arrange something sooner
Back to top Go down
kspeer78
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
kspeer78

Number of posts : 761
Registration date : 2008-06-03

Heart mumurs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heart mumurs   Heart mumurs Icon_minitimeSun 1 Nov 2009 - 20:19

Best of luck with it all Paul. Blake had a complete AVSD heart op at 4 months and the Dr's were fantastic. The Dr's here seem to give our kiddies priority with any heart issues so hopefully you will have the same experience in Vic.
Back to top Go down
angelgood1
Chin Wagger
Chin Wagger

Number of posts : 340
Registration date : 2008-06-28

Heart mumurs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heart mumurs   Heart mumurs Icon_minitimeWed 4 Nov 2009 - 17:15

Hi Paul
I was just thinking- are you aware of Heartkids. We belong to Heartkids Vic for both our children. I think they are based at the Royal Children's Hospital. Just another source of information and support.

Mel
Back to top Go down
rlq02
Chin Wagger
Chin Wagger
rlq02

Number of posts : 366
Registration date : 2008-04-04

Heart mumurs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heart mumurs   Heart mumurs Icon_minitimeWed 4 Nov 2009 - 19:19

Good luck with the investigations.
The cardiology unit at RCH is pretty hard to actually get on to so having an appointment in Jan is quite good. They never gave us an appointment (despite calling and faxing...) so we have gone private for an echocardiogram for Wil last week. He had a small VSD and PDA at birth but no one has ever been able to hear a murmur so we hope it has closed over.
I hope Matilda is better soon and that you get the answers you need quickly
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Heart mumurs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heart mumurs   Heart mumurs Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Heart mumurs
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DS Down Under Forum :: Main - Public Access :: Questions about Down Syndrome-
Jump to: