DS Down Under Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
DS Down Under Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Commonwealth Carer Respite Services

Go down 
+2
Aden's mummy
~Danni~
6 posters
AuthorMessage
~Danni~
Gas Bag
Gas Bag
~Danni~

Number of posts : 507
Registration date : 2008-01-30

Commonwealth Carer Respite Services Empty
PostSubject: Commonwealth Carer Respite Services   Commonwealth Carer Respite Services Icon_minitimeWed 2 Dec 2009 - 19:40

Im not sure where to put this so I put it here, but I just want to know if anyone is linked in with Commonwealth Carer Respite Services? I was told by a few people with children with special needs that they got funding from their branch of the above, however, since I have gotten linked with them, my branch has given me the runaround! A friend of mine who has a son with autism gets a specified amount of funding each year, and this can be for her gym membership or some other kind of respite, however Im still yet to see any $$ from my branch of CCRS. I come under the Ballarat/Grampians region in Victoria and Ive had it up to my eyebrows with their excuses Commonwealth Carer Respite Services 10748 I even called Carers Victoria for some advice and they werent too helpful either, they just said taht basically each region of the DHS do it differently, which totally stinks cos its an Australia wide thing, not a zoned thing, IYKWIM! Sorry if Im not making any sense, Im just so angry and dissillusioned at the moment. Everyone I know has gotten funding and all Im getting is info on friggen support groups which I dont need! Commonwealth Carer Respite Services 880385

I even called our EI case worker and she said that most of this funding that my friend has gotten is because her son has autism and that the parents of autistic children have kicked up a fuss to get all this funding. I dont want to sound nasty but what about kids with DS? They have every right to this funding also dont they? Sorry If Ive offended anyone, its not my intention, I just dont know how disabled Paige has to be before she gets any funding! The friend of mine who Im referring to gets money to go on holidays etc and another friend of mine called our branch of the CCRS as she has a DD with Down Syndrome and she was told that Tory had to have other things wrong with her before she got any funding, Commonwealth Carer Respite Services 642264

Im rambling now so ill leave it here for now, sorry again if I dont make any sense or if I offended anyone, it wasnt my intention at all!
Back to top Go down
http://mummytobe.blogspot.com/
Aden's mummy
Devoted Poster
Devoted Poster
Aden's mummy

Number of posts : 1941
Registration date : 2008-01-25

PostSubject: Re: Commonwealth Carer Respite Services   Commonwealth Carer Respite Services Icon_minitimeWed 2 Dec 2009 - 20:29

carers qld have money for mums that have depression and other stuff liek that. maybe try for yourself and see what you can find. this is the way I'm going. sorry it's so hard for you all of us....
Back to top Go down
http://4ever-blessed.blogspot.com/
Aristocat
Mentor
Mentor
Aristocat

Number of posts : 1263

PostSubject: Re: Commonwealth Carer Respite Services   Commonwealth Carer Respite Services Icon_minitimeThu 3 Dec 2009 - 3:38

Danni, a friend from special olympics told me to contact them also. I tried going via the website, which was nothing short of useless (that was a few months ago, haven't bothered to check again) I too know people who get funding for holiday accommodation and other things. I do know a Geelong family who's son has DS and they got some funding for a holiday. I might look into it again.

I have heard on the grapevine too that Autism is kind of the disability in focus at the moment, and anyone diagnosed is getting loads of support and funding for all sorts of stuff.
Back to top Go down
http://bugglady.blogspot.com/
~Danni~
Gas Bag
Gas Bag
~Danni~

PostSubject: Re: Commonwealth Carer Respite Services   Commonwealth Carer Respite Services Icon_minitimeThu 3 Dec 2009 - 5:01

Quote :
I have heard on the grapevine too that Autism is kind of the disability in focus at the moment, and anyone diagnosed is getting loads of support and funding for all sorts of stuff.

Dont you think that this is discrimination? I mean our kids deserve funding just as much as any kid with any disability.
Back to top Go down
Aristocat
Mentor
Mentor
Aristocat

Number of posts : 1263

PostSubject: Re: Commonwealth Carer Respite Services   Commonwealth Carer Respite Services Icon_minitimeThu 3 Dec 2009 - 6:40

Perhaps Danni... i agree our kids, or rather us as carers, need just as much support.
Back to top Go down
http://bugglady.blogspot.com/
Aden's mummy
Devoted Poster
Devoted Poster
Aden's mummy

PostSubject: Re: Commonwealth Carer Respite Services   Commonwealth Carer Respite Services Icon_minitimeThu 3 Dec 2009 - 7:57

Quote :

yes I to have heard this, the EI teacher asked me if i was sure Aden didn’t' have Autism then went on to explain. I'm thinking there is some ASD tendency’s maybe I should try my luck. Though I’ve also heard (and my own son missed out) that it’s getting harder to get a Dx of Autism because so much funding is around. Hmm interesting.

same thing happened a few years ago with ADD/ADHD. But I do agree it’s needed for kids with ASD they are learning more and more about it. It’s not right though that our kids (or has Narelle said we) miss out.
Back to top Go down
angelgood1
Chin Wagger
Chin Wagger

Number of posts : 340
Registration date : 2008-06-28

PostSubject: Re: Commonwealth Carer Respite Services   Commonwealth Carer Respite Services Icon_minitimeThu 3 Dec 2009 - 8:20

Hi- Yes there is lots of money been directed into autism at the moment. I think it is primarily for children aged upto 7 yrs. Our son was 8 years old when it came in- so even though he is on the spectrum we missed out.

With regards to respite care- it does vary between places. We dont have any council respite where we live. Under the Commonwealth Respite Centre- we dont get funding for holidays etc. However, we live on the state border and if we lived the other side of the river- which we travel to everyday- we would be eligible for alot more in regards to respite care. Like you say- it is pretty poor given it is a commonwealth service.

Mel
Back to top Go down
angelgood1
Chin Wagger
Chin Wagger

Number of posts : 340
Registration date : 2008-06-28

PostSubject: Re: Commonwealth Carer Respite Services   Commonwealth Carer Respite Services Icon_minitimeThu 3 Dec 2009 - 8:40

Hi, I just wanted to add....I have wondered if part of the reason why there is so much funding for autism at the moment is that one of the federal politicians had a child with autism and I wondered if that helped put the issue onto the agenda. It may not have been the case- it is just something I wondered.

Like Cathy mentioned there is a real need for help for children with autism, but it would also be great if this funding was available for all children who need extra assistance.
Mel
Back to top Go down
Tigger
Mentor
Mentor
Tigger

Number of posts : 1095
Registration date : 2008-02-04

PostSubject: Re: Commonwealth Carer Respite Services   Commonwealth Carer Respite Services Icon_minitimeThu 3 Dec 2009 - 11:41

There seems to be a fair bit around in NSW but it is often elusive unless you know where to look. We are now funded for two hours of respite a week (just long enough to get to the bank, pay a few bills and pick up some stuff from the supermarket *sigh*) but we can get up to four hours I think. They will also fund things like a family holiday if we can demonstrate the need and will also provide emergency respite with our regular carer if necessary. I tried to go through DADHC which is the NSW government dept that funds most of this stuff but they are hopeless and I eventually got it through another provider (still funded by DADHC but managed by people who are actually competent - in my case, Queanbeyan City Council).

I think these things are out there, it is just matter of tracking them down. If you talk to enough people in the disability world you will eventually find something but it does take a lot of perseverance. I know it shouldn't be that way but that has been the reality for us.
Back to top Go down
~Danni~
Gas Bag
Gas Bag
~Danni~

PostSubject: Re: Commonwealth Carer Respite Services   Commonwealth Carer Respite Services Icon_minitimeThu 3 Dec 2009 - 17:54

I was also told by a friend who has a child with DS at school (she comes to playgroup with 2 of her kids) that Im entitled to continence aids funding as well but when I asked or EI worker apparently Paige has to be 5 years old.
Back to top Go down
Cath13
Chin Wagger
Chin Wagger
Cath13

Number of posts : 373

PostSubject: Re: Commonwealth Carer Respite Services   Commonwealth Carer Respite Services Icon_minitimeThu 3 Dec 2009 - 18:53

Danni apparently it used to be 4 years old but it has changed to 5 not that long ago.Cody's OT went to apply when he turned 4 and she found it had been changed.
Back to top Go down
Aden's mummy
Devoted Poster
Devoted Poster
Aden's mummy

PostSubject: Re: Commonwealth Carer Respite Services   Commonwealth Carer Respite Services Icon_minitimeThu 3 Dec 2009 - 19:21

Cath13 wrote:
Danni apparently it used to be 4 years old but it has changed to 5 not that long ago.Cody's OT went to apply when he turned 4 and she found it had been changed.
what Commonwealth Carer Respite Services 651681 I was goign to go set thi sup next week as Aden will soon enough be 4yrs in the USA (some parts) they get nappies age 3yrs I feel liek I've been waiting a year lol and now I wont get them.
Back to top Go down
~Danni~
Gas Bag
Gas Bag
~Danni~

PostSubject: Re: Commonwealth Carer Respite Services   Commonwealth Carer Respite Services Icon_minitimeFri 4 Dec 2009 - 19:34

I remember Eden saying she got all these free nappies etc and when I asked her or maybe it was Kathi they told me it was 5 years of age also. Im hoping she is potty trained before then but Im not holding out hope
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Commonwealth Carer Respite Services   Commonwealth Carer Respite Services Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Commonwealth Carer Respite Services
Page 1 of 1