DS Down Under Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
DS Down Under Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The memory keepers daughter

Go down 
+12
Cath13
rlq02
Jules
kookaburra
Admin
Di
shelley
caspearson
Aden's mummy
~Danni~
Amarlismum
Aristocat
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Kelso
Chin Wagger
Chin Wagger
Kelso

Number of posts : 342
Registration date : 2009-05-14

The memory keepers daughter - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The memory keepers daughter   The memory keepers daughter - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 4 Jul 2010 - 20:40

I read this book just after having my boys. I did find it sad...close to home maybe?? I loved it though. It was a real page turner!

Haven't seen the movie yet. It is $12.07 on ebay.
Back to top Go down
Kris
Freshie
Freshie
Kris

Number of posts : 82
Registration date : 2010-08-05

PostSubject: Re: The memory keepers daughter   The memory keepers daughter - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 5 Aug 2010 - 20:02

I started to read the book.
It just made me angry and sad, so I put it down.
I have seen the movie though (Thanks Robyn The memory keepers daughter - Page 2 Icon_wink The memory keepers daughter - Page 2 33387 )
Back to top Go down
kspeer78
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
kspeer78

Number of posts : 761
Registration date : 2008-06-03

PostSubject: Re: The memory keepers daughter   The memory keepers daughter - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 6 Aug 2010 - 21:41

Well I am going to go on the record and say that I didn't like this book. We read it a few months back for my work bookclub and we were all very unimpressed with the authors writing style and loose storylines.

For instance, as you read the book, the fathers decision not to keep the little girl stemmed from his sister dying of a heart condition. If the little girl had a heart condition it would be obvious at birth so to base a life changing decision on this possibility was bizarre. I even thought at the time, why even make the little girl have DS if his main concern is a heart condition??

The main thing that I got out of the book was that a family once full of love is completely destroyed because of one persons decision. The most ironic thing is can you imagine (knowing how loving and beautiful our children are) how much love would have existed in that family if they had of kept the little girl?? The mother probably wouldn't have felt the need to have an affair, the brother would have had a happy or at least semi-happy childhood etc.

Was good that it didn't focus on the perceived negatives of having a child with DS too much and she ends up being the happiest character in the book which is great but just found that she skimmed over issues that seemed central to the book and then went into sooo much detail over trivial things.

That is my The memory keepers daughter - Page 2 710216 anyways. Haven't seen the movie - might have to track it down.
Back to top Go down
rlq02
Chin Wagger
Chin Wagger
rlq02

Number of posts : 366
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: The memory keepers daughter   The memory keepers daughter - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 10 Aug 2010 - 15:22

My husband didn't like the book either Kylie, mainly the way it was written. I didn't like the film, but I think that was to do with casting!
Back to top Go down
kspeer78
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
kspeer78

Number of posts : 761
Registration date : 2008-06-03

PostSubject: Re: The memory keepers daughter   The memory keepers daughter - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 10 Aug 2010 - 19:31

I remembered the other thing that I found odd - the girl that he finds in his parents house. Ok fine he spills his guts and admits what he has done and ok he wants to help her but getting her to live with him?? And then in the next instant she is leaving as she is getting married?? She was important as far as being only one of 3 people who knew what he had done but that was it.

There were other instances like this too just can't remember at the moment!!
Back to top Go down
Bronnie
Chin Wagger
Chin Wagger
Bronnie

Number of posts : 313
Registration date : 2010-01-05

PostSubject: Re: The memory keepers daughter   The memory keepers daughter - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 13 Aug 2010 - 6:47

Hmm might go get the book and have a look.. I'd say I'll need tissues though, I bawl at anything sad these days : )
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The memory keepers daughter   The memory keepers daughter - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The memory keepers daughter
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DS Down Under Forum :: Main - Public Access :: Recommended Reading-
Jump to: