DS Down Under Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
DS Down Under Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Fetal Attraction

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 287
Registration date : 2008-01-24

Fetal Attraction Empty
PostSubject: Fetal Attraction   Fetal Attraction Icon_minitimeThu 6 Mar 2008 - 19:39

The Jerusalem Post - 3 Mar 2008

Quote :
In some ways, Prof. Kypros Nicolaides is more suited to Israel than to England, the adopted home of the Cyprus-born, world-renowned "father of fetal medicine." Israel and Judaism, with their child-oriented ideology - there are more in-vitro fertilization centers per capita here than anywhere in the world - are attuned to his decades of work to save distressed fetuses.

And Israelis - with their informality and tendency to tell their life stories to complete strangers - would likely understand his controversial methods of calming frightened patients. Israelis' desire for the "perfect baby" also suits Nicolaides, who discovered that nuchal translucency in a fetus is a marker for Down Syndrome. This leaves open the option for an early abortion. Ultrasound measures the almost-clear (translucent) space in the tissue at the back of a baby's neck. Babies with abnormalities tend to accumulate more fluid there during the first trimester. The BBC even produced a two-part documentary called Life Before Birth that starred Nicolaides.

The 55-year-old head of the Research Center for Fetal Medicine at King's College Hospital in London - on his third visit to Israel to attend a conference of the Israel Ultrasound Society - says in an interview with The Jerusalem Post that he first decided to be a doctor when he was two. Although obviously brilliant, "perhaps I remember what my parents told me later about what I had said about wanting to be a doctor," he concedes...

read more...
Back to top Go down
https://dsdownunder.forumakers.com/

Fetal Attraction
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DS Down Under Forum :: Main - Public Access :: News Watch-
Jump to: