DS Down Under Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
DS Down Under Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

What would you have liked people to say to you, when you found out about your DS child?

Go down 
+13
Aristocat
Aden's mummy
Tigger
Jules
missyflower
kookaburra
sunshyne
rlq02
MillyMoo
caspearson
Amarlismum
shelley
Kat
17 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
*Dory*
Chin Wagger
Chin Wagger
*Dory*

Number of posts : 340
Registration date : 2008-02-11

What would you have liked people to say to you, when you found out about your DS child? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What would you have liked people to say to you, when you found out about your DS child?   What would you have liked people to say to you, when you found out about your DS child? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 7 Jun 2008 - 12:10

I think the best thing anyone can say is, "Congratulations on the birth of your son/daughter" and treat the mum and baby as if it were any other birth IMO.

One of the midwives at The Canberra Hospital knows that I'm available to meet new parents and I already have met one beautiful baby boy. His mother is Nigerian and her partner is Aussie and she felt she couldn't go home with her son because she and her son would be ostracised (?sp) and not treated the same. She was grateful for my visit and even more grateful for me bringing Matthew. I think someone just saying, congrats on the birth of your baby made her day Smile and it made me feel good too - AND I got to cuddle this boy and OMG he is gorgeous Lots of love
Back to top Go down
Cath13
Chin Wagger
Chin Wagger
Cath13

Number of posts : 373
Registration date : 2008-01-30

What would you have liked people to say to you, when you found out about your DS child? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What would you have liked people to say to you, when you found out about your DS child?   What would you have liked people to say to you, when you found out about your DS child? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 7 Jun 2008 - 12:59

Quote :
I think the best thing anyone can say is, "Congratulations on the birth of your son/daughter" and treat the mum and baby as if it were any other birth IMO.

I agree, I have been blessed with a really great family who have never treated Cody any differently(other than to give him too much love,if that is possible) Love heart beating
Back to top Go down
Supercat
Regular
Regular

Number of posts : 131
Registration date : 2008-04-29

PostSubject: Re: What would you have liked people to say to you, when you found out about your DS child?   What would you have liked people to say to you, when you found out about your DS child? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 7 Jun 2008 - 20:18

What a great thread. I guess I am really worried about how people will react if we do get the DS diagnosis. I couldn't stand anyone crying about it in front of me. I just won't have the energy to prop them up!

I had previously asked my cousin (whom I adore) to come into the birthing suite to watch the birth but now I think I am going to ask her not to come. My reason is, I don't want to worry about he she will react. I want it to just be DH and I in there so we can deal with it in our own way.

I must say though, I really liked this comment...

Quote :
I know I don't know much about Down Syndrome, but I will do my best to learn with you along the way....

Wink
Back to top Go down
Tim and Tuscan
Regular
Regular
Tim and Tuscan

Number of posts : 229
Registration date : 2008-06-26

PostSubject: Re: What would you have liked people to say to you, when you found out about your DS child?   What would you have liked people to say to you, when you found out about your DS child? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 29 Jun 2008 - 21:13

I think we were fortunate because our diagnosis came pretty early on, it gave time for the news to spread and people to come to terms with it before seeing us and then of course meeting Tuscan.

Most people said lovely things like how beautiful he is and how lucky we are to have him. Of course we have had the idiots who insist on telling us that he doesn't look very Downs, etc.

The worst we had was a friend's mother who tried to tell me that she could sell me some medication in a pyramid selling scheme that improved intra-cellular communication and could cure Tuscan of his Downs. Some people have absolutely no concept of how unhelpful they are being ...
Back to top Go down
http://stochasticity.tumblr.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What would you have liked people to say to you, when you found out about your DS child?   What would you have liked people to say to you, when you found out about your DS child? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What would you have liked people to say to you, when you found out about your DS child?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2