DS Down Under Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
DS Down Under Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Inspirational Story

Go down 
+3
Di
kookaburra
kspeer78
7 posters
AuthorMessage
kspeer78
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
kspeer78

Number of posts : 761
Registration date : 2008-06-03

Inspirational Story Empty
PostSubject: Inspirational Story   Inspirational Story Icon_minitimeThu 19 Jun 2008 - 8:23

clap Hi,

A member of the DSAQ e-group posted a link to the following story about a young man with DS living independently against odds clap :

http://www.bnd.com:80/living/story/372081.html

I hope the link works??
Back to top Go down
kookaburra
Addict
Addict
kookaburra

Number of posts : 495
Registration date : 2008-04-26

PostSubject: Re: Inspirational Story   Inspirational Story Icon_minitimeThu 19 Jun 2008 - 9:50

Oh what a wonderful, wonderful story!

I so want that for Gracie one day too.
Back to top Go down
Di
Addict
Addict
Di

Number of posts : 443
Registration date : 2008-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Inspirational Story   Inspirational Story Icon_minitimeThu 19 Jun 2008 - 10:48

Great story - thanks for posting that!
Back to top Go down
http://smallactsofkindness-dovic.blogspot.com/
caspearson
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
caspearson

Number of posts : 3298
Registration date : 2008-01-25

PostSubject: Re: Inspirational Story   Inspirational Story Icon_minitimeThu 19 Jun 2008 - 10:50

Link worked Very Happy Reminds me of Chezzy a little, only Chezzy lives by himself, not in a sharehouse Very Happy

I didn't like this statement:
Quote :
how did the baby born with such limited potential become this confident young man
Maybe it's because his parents didn't see him as someone with limited potential! Mad

Cas
Back to top Go down
http://pearsonspalladium.spaces.live.com/
kspeer78
Chatterbox
Chatterbox
kspeer78

Number of posts : 761
Registration date : 2008-06-03

PostSubject: Re: Inspirational Story   Inspirational Story Icon_minitimeThu 19 Jun 2008 - 11:47

Cas I wasn't thrilled with that line either. But I suppose back in those days unfortunately it was a lot of people's opinions that our wonderful children would have limited potential but boy if I had $1 for everytime this opinion had been proven incorrect??
Back to top Go down
marialena
Freshie
Freshie
marialena

Number of posts : 95
Location : Victoria - Central Gippsland - maria.roncan@internode.on.net

PostSubject: Re: Inspirational Story   Inspirational Story Icon_minitimeThu 19 Jun 2008 - 12:36

I wasn't thrilled with that line either. But I suppose back in those days unfortunately it was a lot of people's opinions .. ...........

However it's not everybody's opinion now so why repeating those terms, journalisms I suppose.

Yes Cas, we didn't look at his "limited potentials" It's nice of you to remember that we have here in Australia very smart people too, with Ds that is.

clap
Back to top Go down
Aden's mummy
Devoted Poster
Devoted Poster
Aden's mummy

Number of posts : 1941

PostSubject: Re: Inspirational Story   Inspirational Story Icon_minitimeThu 19 Jun 2008 - 12:58

marialena wrote
Quote :
I wasn't thrilled with that line either. But I suppose back in those days unfortunately it was a lot of people's opinions .. ...........[/i]

However it's not everybody's opinion now so why repeating those terms, journalisms I suppose.

Yes Cas, we didn't look at his "limited potentials" It's nice of you to remember that we have here in Australia very smart people too, with Ds that is.

very well said I agree! clap

I didn't even read the article Shocked
when I read the title I just wasn’t in the mood to be irritated Rolling Eyes
but it is wonderful that his story is out there for people that still have these attitudes, and hopefully they read it after being attracted to the heading.

Quote :
A happy man: Amazing Austin overcomes Down syndrome to live independently
Mad
Back to top Go down
http://4ever-blessed.blogspot.com/
caspearson
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
caspearson

PostSubject: Re: Inspirational Story   Inspirational Story Icon_minitimeThu 19 Jun 2008 - 13:05

I must admit I didn't read every word because I was expecting to read that he had major health issues and then that statement put me off...

Cas
Back to top Go down
caspearson
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
caspearson

PostSubject: Re: Inspirational Story   Inspirational Story Icon_minitimeThu 19 Jun 2008 - 13:16

Oh boy, I just realised how negative I sounded! I am very excited to read about Austin as it just goes to show that anything IS possible for our kids....
(despite negative stereotypes Wink )

Cas
Back to top Go down
Di
Addict
Addict
Di

PostSubject: Re: Inspirational Story   Inspirational Story Icon_minitimeThu 19 Jun 2008 - 13:28

I'm going to put my head on the chopping block here and say that I think the statement 'overcomes' Down Syndrome' is fair. The way I see it, Down Syndrome by the very fact that it is in part an intellectual disability, does impose its limitations. Sometimes less, sometimes more. The whole reason we do so much work with our kiddies (again, sometimes less, sometimes more) is to 'overcome' these limitations. Thats not saying that they won't be gorgeous contributing individuals in our society (in many more ways than the rest of us sometimes), but it's still a fact that there are limitations imposed that wouldn't be there otherwise?

Eg, If I was 5ft2in and wanted to be a high jumper, I'd have to overcome the limitations of my height right? Doesn't mean I'm any less worthy.

I loved reading about Austin and thought it was a very positive article because it focused on what he does do and wonderful way in which he lives his life. He sounds like great fun and very productive.
Back to top Go down
kookaburra
Addict
Addict
kookaburra

Number of posts : 495
Registration date : 2008-04-26

PostSubject: Re: Inspirational Story   Inspirational Story Icon_minitimeThu 19 Jun 2008 - 13:31

Hey Di....just have to say I agree with you Smile

Actually I didn't even notice the heading or the other lines that people mentioned...I was so focussed on what a wonderful and happy life Austin is living. Guess it is my usual shallow way with dealing with things...my Pollyanna syndrome Cool

Anyway I'll tell you to bugger off just cause I like saying bugger off Wink

lol!
Back to top Go down
Di
Addict
Addict
Di

PostSubject: Re: Inspirational Story   Inspirational Story Icon_minitimeThu 19 Jun 2008 - 13:37

Actually I removed the tell me to bugger off bit but you snuck in quick. Then I reread the post and wasn't sure I agreed with myself anymore either so was going to delete the whole lot but since you've responded I best keep it in there Smile

I can say that like you I didn't notice the heading and other lines either until they were pointed out.

In any case, it's interesting to have all the different view points even within our own little community.
Back to top Go down
caspearson
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
caspearson

PostSubject: Re: Inspirational Story   Inspirational Story Icon_minitimeThu 19 Jun 2008 - 13:43

Di wrote:
Eg, If I was 5ft2in and wanted to be a high jumper, I'd have to overcome the limitations of my height right?

ahh, possibly. But just because you're tall does not necessarily mean you're a good highjumper now does it??
*chop chop*

Cas lmao
Back to top Go down
Aden's mummy
Devoted Poster
Devoted Poster
Aden's mummy

Number of posts : 1941

PostSubject: Re: Inspirational Story   Inspirational Story Icon_minitimeThu 19 Jun 2008 - 14:38

Quote :
I think the statement 'overcomes' Down Syndrome' is fair. The way I see it, Down Syndrome by the very fact that it is in part an intellectual disability, does impose its limitations. Sometimes less, sometimes more. The whole reason we do so much work with our kiddies (again, sometimes less, sometimes more) is to 'overcome' these limitations. That’s not saying that they won't be gorgeous contributing individuals in our society (in many more ways than the rest of us sometimes), but it's still a fact that there are limitations imposed that wouldn't be there otherwise?
I agree with this, I'm most likely tooo sensitive good to know I can be that way here and your all genital with me Lots of love
Back to top Go down
http://4ever-blessed.blogspot.com/
Amarlismum
Chatzilla
Chatzilla
Amarlismum

Number of posts : 2167

PostSubject: Re: Inspirational Story   Inspirational Story Icon_minitimeThu 19 Jun 2008 - 17:27

Quote :
But just because you're tall does not necessarily mean you're a good highjumper now does it??
*chop chop*
You've made a good point just like the story intended to do..........
Just because you have Down syndrome does'nt necessarily mean you will be limited in the things you can do. Razz
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Inspirational Story   Inspirational Story Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Inspirational Story
Page 1 of 1